The largest APsaA- and IPA– affiliated institute in the country, BPSI is a vibrant professional and educational community of psychoanalysts, psychoanalytic therapists, and interdisciplinary scholars, devoted to the study and practice of psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic psychotherapy, and the applications of psychoanalysis in the community, medicine, and the arts.
BPSI supports the education and individual developmental trajectories of Candidates, students and graduates throughout their professional lives.
Our diverse commitments include outreach to schools of social work, psychology, and psychiatry, and medicine, supporting psychoanalytic research, and supporting and honoring psychoanalytic work in the community.
Learn more about:
THE DECISION TO PURSUE CLINICAL TRAINING AT BPSI
The decision to pursue psychoanalytic and psychotherapy training is a highly individual one. Many people are available to help you decide which BPSI program may fit a particular time in your professional development, to answer questions, and to help facilitate your application to the Adult and Child Fellowship Programs, Advanced Training Program (ATP), or the Adult, Child, and the Joint Training Programs in Psychoanalysis. Students, candidates and recent graduates of all programs are also available to talk with you about their experience at BPSI.
We invite you to talk further with us about BPSI’s training programs and your clinical and learning needs and interests, and we are happy to match you with individuals who can respond further to your questions.
- Co-Chairs of the Fellowship Child Track: David Levoy (617) 244-0111 and Dov Fogel (617) 547-6776.
- Co-Chairs of the Admissions Committee for the Fellowship and ATP: Alison Phillips (781) 237-2335 or Jessica Barton (617) 919-6153.
- Director of Psychotherapy Training: Richard Gomberg (617) 796-8804.
- Co-Chair Admissions Committee (Adult Psychoanalytic Training Program): Susan Austrian (617) 278-9410.
- Co-Chair Admissions Committee (Joint Adult, Child & Adolescent Psychoanalytic Training Program): Ellen Blumenthal, MD (617) 566-1707.
- Chair of the Training Outreach Committee: Janet Noonan (617) 571-6765 is also available to discuss the match of your clinical interests with our different training programs.
For administrative questions regarding your application, please contact Karen Smolens in the BPSI office at 617-266-0953 x103.