WELCOME TO BPSI’S AFFILIATE SCHOLAR PROGRAM
Our Affiliate Scholar Program offers members of the broader academic community a flexible opportunity to enrich their own research through seminars selected from BPSI’s full Psychoanalytic Training Program. Over the years, Affiliate Scholars have come from a diverse array of disciplines, including art history, archeology, law, social work, neuroscience, medicine, theology, journalism and the arts.
Each Affiliate Scholar works with an individual faculty advisor to select seminars that speak to their interests.
Affiliate Scholars are accepted for a term of one year, with the option of a second year renewal upon approval of the Education Committee.
Affiliate Scholars may also attend academic lectures and other programs, and conduct independent study using the resources of the BPSI Library. They may also arrange individual tutorials with BPSI faculty.
Applicants should have completed, or be close to completing, doctoral studies in their own fields.
A personal psychoanalysis is desirable, but is not a requirement of the program.
HOW TO APPLY
BPSI will be receiving applications from December 1 to April 1.
- In order to apply, please send the following to Karen Smolens via email or mail to Ms. Smolens at BPSI, 141 Herrick Road, Newton Center, Newton MA 02459.
- Professional curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Reprints of representative significant papers
- A summary statement of a plan of study that addresses the relevance of psychoanalysis to the Scholar’s work
- Two letters of reference
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $145.00. This may be paid online, or by check payable to Boston Psychoanalytic Society & Institute, which may be mailed to the same address.
Three interviews will be scheduled with members of the Affiliate Scholar Committee and the Admissions Committee.
- 2021-2022 Tuition for seminars: $1,310.
- 2022-2023 Tuition for seminars: $1,375.
- There is a small annual increase in dues and tuition. 2023-2024 dues and tuition will be available March, 2023.
- Each applicant’s financial status and academic program are given consideration.
- Tuition is also prorated based on individual course load.
For further information, please contact Karen Smolens.