ADULT PSYCHOANALYSIS TRAINING ANALYSTS
BPSI TRAINING ANALYSTS
Candidates may choose their personal psychoanalyst from the list of experienced and vetted BPSI psychoanalysts. Under some circumstance, discussed in the next section, Candidates may choose to have a training psychoanalysis with an analyst who is not affiliated with BPSI.
Non-BPSI TRAINING ANALYSTS
Through a reciprocal arrangement, training analysts at the Psychoanalytic Institute of New England may also serve as the personal analyst for BPSI Candidates.
Under some circumstances, the American Psychoanalytic Association (APsaA), in order to avoid interrupting an existing treatment, will accept an ongoing personal analysis as a training analysis. Considerations as to whether an ongoing personal analysis might be accepted to continue as a “training analysis” include the following provisions:
1. The Candidate’s personal analyst must meet requirements, such as
- Having graduated from an institute of the American Psychoanalytic Association or the International Psychoanalytic Association five years ago or longer
- Be in good ethical standing
- Have shown an immersion in conducting psychoanalytic treatments.
2. The Candidate’s analyst would apply for consent (a “waiver”) from the American Psychoanalytic Association’s Board on Professional Standards (BOPS) by submitting an application to BPSI. We would then review the application and meet with the applicant analyst for an informational interview. If the basic requirements are met, BPSI would apply for approval to APSaA.
Faculty & Candidates