THE BPSI VISION
Building on a strengthened core, BPSI will work to expand the impact of psychoanalysis, psychoanalytic thinking, and psychoanalytic practice for a new generation. Toward this goal, BPSI will build and maintain bridges to external partners in the academic, medical, education, social service, and research communities in order to:
- Enrich intellectual dialogue between psychoanalysis and other disciplines.
- Increase interest in treatment in psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic therapy.
- Increase interest in psychoanalytic ideas and thinking in the community, medicine, and the arts.
- Enrich psychoanalytic service to the community.
- Foster dialogue between clinical psychoanalysis and research.
- Foster research knowledge and skills among interested trainees and members.
- Foster development of the research base in academia for psychoanalytic treatments.
- Ultimately increase academic and public support for psychoanalysis and psychoanalytic treatments.
From September 2009 until November 2011, we engaged in a process to redesign our governance structure and to write new bylaws that reflected this new structure. Our goal was to create a system of governance that would reflect our mission and allow us to implement our strategic plan through open communication and collaboration throughout the organization.
BPSI has five divisions that together capture the central functions of our organization:
- The Education Division, comprised of two parts, Psychoanalytic Education and Psychotherapy Education
- The Membership Division
- The Library Division
- The Community Division
- The Division of Interdisciplinary Psychoanalysis
The Coordinating Committee is a body of Members that brings together representatives from each of the five divisions. The Committee is chaired by the President of BPSI.